Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Roman Baths

A group of us went to Bath on sunday (Feb. 15th) and of course had to see the Roman Baths exhibit. You can't go to Bath and not see the baths. I was a little irked that it was 9.50, seems a little steep to me, and that was with the student discount! But they have to get funding somehow, especially as they still have so much to excavate. We were given little cellphone type things to listen to our audio tour guide. There were numbers posted beside each different exhibit, and to hear about that exhibit you just punched that number into your "cellphone" and that way people can go at their own personal pace, which in my case was quite slow as I tried to listen to every single audio clip, and some of them had options for extra information! So needless to say I was in there about an hour longer than the rest of my group... but you just can't put me in a museum and say "Hurry", it just won't happen. There was a certain level of cheesiness that had to be overlooked and I tried not to cringe at the ridiculous audio re-enactments. I was impressed with the information given, enough to educate those that wanted to learn about ancient Roman Britain, but stayed just surface level enough so as not to become tedious. It can be difficult to find a balance sometimes.
There is one thing that I always struggle with when I visit a museum. And that is that a small part of me is a horder, and so even though I know it is important that these artefacts be put on display for the benefit of all, I can't help thinking they would last longer and preserve better in a vault, or some sort of sealed room, without all the cheesy, tourist-pleasing accoutrements. And that these people can't possibly appreciate them for what they are so they should be tucked away somewhere (I know, I really should give the average person the benefit of the doubt, as I myself am one of those average people). I obviously am so very grateful that they aren't, as that means I can see them, but another part of me is always a little bit saddened as well. The Roman Empire was one of the greatest, if not the greatest empire this world has seen, and what is now crumbling rock and rusting metal was once a glorious temple. It is difficult to wrap one's head around that sometimes, and I wonder what would the people who once frequented these baths and this temple think of something that had been so sacred, such an integral part of their society being reduced to glass cases that children smudge with their inevitably dirty hands, that tourists gawk at and take pictures of usually without bothering to read the placards next to them. I can't help but wonder if anyone else is having the same experience as me?
I think one of my favorite artefacts was the gilded head of Minerva. I couldn't help but develop my own theory. At the end of the audio clip they mentioned that her body still hasn't been unearthed, but are without doubt that it eventually will be. There is speculation as to why her head was removed, as there is evidence of intentional removal. I was surprised that they didn't mention the penchant "celtic" peoples had for removing the head of a worth adversary. It was believed that the head was the seat of the human soul, and that by removing the head of an enemy or adversary, it showed them great respect, and represented great power. To take the head of a powerful goddess would be quite something indeed...
To stop and consider the monumental significance of such ancient ruins can be a heady experience. Even more so to consider that they weren't always ruins, that at one point people came there on a regular basis to bathe, to worship. It can be difficult for us to remove ourselves from our own reality, to step out of the present and fully immerse oureslves in the past, but to do so is to better understand the present, to put it in perspective, and to realize there is something bigger than we are. These ruins are bigger than we are (yes, obviously physically, but that isn't what I mean and you know that) they exisited thousands of years ago, before even the advent of christianity, and it is entirely possible they will continue to exist a thousand years from now. To comprehend such an existence is almost impossible. It can really make one think...
The city itself I found quite charming. I was sorely disappointed that the art museum was closed for renovations, perhaps another time. There were quite a few things I would like to return for. We passed a small museum and historical house that I would have LOVED to peruse, but it was 5 pounds, and though I would be willing to fork out 5 quid to wander aimlessly through an old house filled with Georgian architecture and paintings and furniture (oooh I really must go back) I knew not everyone I was with would be quite so keen. And the Abbey... there shall be an entire other post for that. More time really must be spent there. And I'm sure there are other numerous attractions throughout the city. Perhaps I'll just take the bus myself some other sunday afternoon, and then I don't have to worry about taking too long in a museum. Good idea Becca.
I also made everyone stop to watch a street performer. He had a 10 foot unicycle, and I thought he was just going to ride it (who would just walk by that and say "I don't want to see a man ride a 10 foot unicycle"...?) but he of course had to have an entire show, which was quite funny, I really enjoyed his sense of humor and his necessary brazen attitude. I don't suppose one can be shy making one's living performing on the street. He did eventually ride the 10 foot unicycle, and though he didn't get up there on his own, it was, obviously, quite impressive. I love just walking around a new city. Especially with someone who knows it spouting random historical facts. I love random historical facts. It was, all in all, quite a successful trip I would say, particularly the catnap I took in the car on the way back to Bristol! A return trip really is necessary, and since it is so close, it shouldn't be a problem. But perhaps I'll wait until after we've gone to Stonehenge. Oooh now there's a trip to look forward to! I should start planning that...

No comments:

Post a Comment