Thursday, February 19, 2009

Bath Abbey

After spending quite some time in the Roman Baths, our group was ineveitably split up, so I waited outside the abbey for everyone to meet me there. The bells started to ring while I sat there waiting. There is a rather ethereal quality to church bells, imagined or not, its a beautiful sound. Not quite cheerful, more promising, or hopeful. The group started to recongregate and while we were waiting for the rest to join us, we spent a few minutes in the Abbey. I am not catholic, nor do I see myself ever converting to catholicism, but they do have the most beautiful churches. I love the gargoyles and the stained glass. From the outside it is so imposing, intimidating rather. With tall spires and dark windows, graceful arches and epic proportions, it sits next to the baths, almost daring you not to be impressed. Upon entering, a small gasp did escape, I must admit. The ceilings swoop up, with large ridges creating an almost dizzying effect. It is dimly lit, to create a dramatic atmosphere, or because it's impossible to light so much space, perhaps a combination of the 2. It is not silent, but there is a hushed quality to the sound. Where on the outside the stained glass is dark and rather dull, inside it is vibrant and glossy. seemingly lit from some ethereal, other source. I chose a wall and walked down it. It was covered in memorials. I love the feel of marble under my hands. Some were so old the writing was barely decipherable. One particular memorial stood out. Most of the memorials were simple, 1 dimensional blocks of a creamy, standard marble set within the wall, providing a name and dates, and perhaps an epitaph or "beloved spouse" but this one was darker marble, and came out from the wall, with cherubs and angels carved around the edges and the most beautiful prose, english that has been lost in common use, eloquently formed sentences and sentiments that would be given quizzical looks were they reproduced today. I couldn't tell you exactly what it said, just that it was beautiful and heartfelt. I almost desperately had to touch it, to make it relevant, to make it real, and not just something beautiful I was seeing. Marble is always so cool, and polishes so smoothly. I love the feel of marble under my hands. Then came the quiet voice asking us to please depart as the Abbey was closing. Knowing perfectly well its a loudspeaker, you can't help but look up... It was only a few minutes that we spent in there, but I felt everything in me relax, there is something about churches, if one is comfortable with one's religion or spirituality, that so invites reflection and tranquility. Leaving was to once again re-enter the real world, of street performers and unicycles, pasty shops and cars, sights, sounds and smells that bombard you so abruptly it takes a moment to find your balance again. It had been so quiet in the Abbey.

No comments:

Post a Comment